© Mr Quiller Barrett LRPS
SOUTHALL, EALING, GREATER LONDON
Mr Quiller Barrett LRPS
17 June 2000
08 November 1949
Date of last amendment:
08 November 2049
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ 18 SW 1/94
TQ 18 SE 2/94
1836-37 by Isambard Kingdom Brunel. Contractors Messrs Grissell and Peto.
Brown brick viaduct of 8 semi-elliptical arches each of 70 ft span and rising
19 ft. Stone imposts, cornices and copings. The length is 886 ft, height
to parapet 81 ft and the original width 30 ft, widened on the north side
in 1877. The piers are in the form of pylons, originally 2 to each pier,
now 3. The arms of Lord Wharncliffe decorate the centre of the south face.
The first railway viaduct to use hollow piers. Original appearance illustrated
by Bourne in his 'Great Western Railway'. This was the first major engineering
work to be completed on the Great Western Railway.