You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 201787  

Print Page

© Mr David Deprez

IoE Number: 201787
Photographer: Mr David Deprez
Date Photographed: 01 September 2001
Date listed: 07 May 1954
Date of last amendment: 11 November 1988
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

Te entries for: TQ 2476 and TQ 2376 FULHAM PALACE SW6 10/44 and 9/44 West Court and TQ 2476 FULHAM PALACE SW6 10/34 East Court shall be combined to read; TQ 2476 and TQ 2376 FULHAM PALACE SW6 9/151 and 10/151 Fulham Palace (formerly listed as 7.5.54 West Court and East Court) GV I Bishop's Palace (until 1973). Great Hall and service rooms built c.1480 for Bishop Kemp; porch and west courtyard built c.1500; more service rooms built to south of Great Hall for Bishop Fitzjames, 1506-22; block including Dining Room, to north of Great Hall, built c.1750 for Bishop Sherlock; east court, on site of medieval principal chambers, rebuilt in Gothick style by Stiff Leadbetter for Bishop Terrick, 1764-6, and further remodelled and refronted 1814-18 by S P Cockerell for Bishop Howley, who made new chapel out of Great Hall; south range of west courtyard rebuilt 1853 for Bishop Blomfield. Early C16 red brick with purple brick diaper patterns; C18 red brick; early C19 yellow brick to east court; gabled old tile roofs; brick stacks. Plan consists of east courtyard and west courtyard, separated by Great Hall with Bishop Sherlock's Dining Room range to north and Bishop Fitzjames' service range to south. West courtyard, including Great Hall range: Of 2 storeys. West front, of 6-window range, has central early C16 moulded Tudor-arched gateway; early C16 ribbed double doors have lap-jointed leaves to rear, possibly of C12 origins; flat brick arches over late C19 and C20 casements, C18 two-light leaded casement to right and large c1850 wooden cross window with leaded lights to right of archway. North front has early C19 outshot and, to north of Great Hall, a 2-storey, 3-bay block built c.1750 for Bishop Sherlock, with projecting central bay: Semi-circular arch over mid C18 sash with thick glazing bars to centre; flat brick arches over 2 similar ground-floor sashes and 3 early C19 first-floor sashes; cyma-moulded cornice beneath parapet; early C19 two-storey, 2-bay block, in similar style and with early C19 sashes,to east. South front has C18 two-light leaded casements to first floor; 3 early C17 brick gables added to projecting early C16 service range, which has brick pilasters and string courses and arms of Bishop FitzJames carved in stone over segmental-arched doorway. Inner walls facing courtyard: Early C16 three-storey gatehouse, to Great Hall, has offset corner buttresses, mid C19 Perpendicular-style doorway, early C16 six-light oriel window with hollow- chamfered arched lights and Perpendicular colonettes; similar 5-light window above with carved spandrels; moulded brick corbels to trefoiled frieze beneath parapet. Three late C18 wooden cross windows with leaded lights to hall on left; 3 similar windows and C20 hipped dormers to range on right. South-facing wall has late C19/C20 casements set in heavy pegged frames, C19 six-panelled doors and C18 wooden cross windows. North-facing wall, rebuilt 1853 with offset buttresses, has 4 ribbed doors set in Tudor-style surrounds, 2-light casements and 3 leaded casements (probably C18) set in chamfered brick architraves. East-facing wall has late C19 door, one C18 two-light leaded casement to top left, late C19 two-light casement and C17-style cross wind6w next to early C16 archway, which inside has exposed timber-framed cross walls and two mid C18 panelled doors. East Courtyard, of 1764-6 and refronted 1814-18: east elevation, of 7-window range, has stucco storey band to 5 central bays of 1814-18, with lower fenestration to outer bays; C20 French windows in outer bays, set in moulded architraves with bracketed pediments; central bays have full-height 15-pane sashes set in moulded plaster architraves with bracketed cornices; 12-pane first-floor sashes set in moulded plaster architraves; moulded cornice beneath parapet. North elevation, of 3 storeys, with projecting outer bays, has flat brick arches over C20 door and two 9-pane sashes on ground floor; first-floor range of sashes and leaded casements set in late C18 Gothick stucco architraves; second-floor range of flat brick arches over 12-pane sashes; moulded cornice beneath parapet. Two-storey south elevation, of 8-window range, has flat brick arches over 12-pane sashes, similar cornice, C17 external stack and 3-storey brick extension of 1866 leading to Chapel (q.v.) by Butterfield. Interior: Hall range has late C17 bolection-moulded panelling, turned balusters, and 2 open pedimented doorways set on carved brackets to screens passage; Great Hall to left has coffered ceiling and c.1853 chimneypiece with segmental pediment and richly-carved festoons to overmantle; early C19 semi-circular arched blind arcading to vestibule at rear of screens passage, with access to cross-vaulted passage of same date to rear of Great Hall. C15 roof of Great Hall: collar trusses with curved windbraces to butt purlins; truss adjoining stack has queen posts clasping scissored braces and raking struts; central truss (originally a partition) has elbowed canting struts. Dining Room of c.1750, to north of Great Hall, has modillioned cornice and fine rococo plaster ceiling; room above has mid C18 panelled niche, early C19 shuttering and traces of mid/late C18 hand-blocked wallpaper. Service range to south not inspected but noted as having reset Tudor-arched wooden archway and Bishop Laud's carved stone arms (1628-33). North range of west courtyard has timber-framed partition to west, mid C18 panelled doors set in moulded wood architraves and mid C18 panelled shutters; quartered C16 beams to room on east; mid C18 panelled dado to centre and early C19 fireplace with reeded architrave to west; first floor has late C17 straight-flight staircase with turned balusters, mid C18 stone fireplace, mid C18 plaster cornices, early C19 open-well staircase and complete sets of early C16 oak joists and floor framing. West range of west courtyard: Armoury, to north of entry, has fireplace overmantel with heraldic cartouche of Bishop Robinson (1714-23) set in carved wood imbricated frame, and segmental-arched recesses, rere-arches and ceiling cornice of c.1850 for Bishop Blomfield; C17 stop-chamfered newel post to dog-leg staircase with winders; first floor has mid C18 panelled doors, cross beams to transverse partitions; noted as having C16 roof trusses. Interior of East. Courtyard: North range: early C19 shutters; ground-floor room to west has fine early C19 neo-classical marble fireplace, enriched plaster frieze and bracketed cornices to doorways; ground-floor room to east (Porteus Library) has early C19 marble fireplace, segmental-arched vault with panelled plasterwork and bookcases with fluted half-columns; first-floor rooms have mid C18 panelled doors and shutters and plain early C19 fireplace; 3 early C19 second-floor rooms have coffered ceilings and panelled doors; early C19 open-well staircase with ramped mahogany handrail. South range: Gallery has panels of heraldic glass, including that of Bishop Porteus; mid C18 panelled doors and dados, early C19 door architraves; ground-floor room to north has early C19 bolection-moulded panelling, fine doorcases each with carved acanthus-leaf brackets to cornices, and early C19 fireplace. Second-floor room to south has mid C18 dado, dentilled cornice and pulvinated frieze to door architrave-, and fine c.1764 fireplace by Leadbetter carved with urns, Wreaths etc. in light rococo style; small room to centre has original fittings to mid C18 doors and dentilled cornice and pulvinated frieze over door architrave to large reception room on north, which has another fine Leadbetter fireplace, and panelled dado. Also on second floor are rooms with early C19 plaster cornices, and mid C18 panelled dado leading to room with mid C18 cornice with fluted frieze; staircase with mid C18 twisted balusters to west. C16 timbers reset in C18 roof. C13/14 stonework in cellar, marking change of site of the Bishop's Palace from further west to its present position. ------------------------------------ TQ 2476 and TQ 2376 FULHAM PALACE SW6 10/44 and 9/44 7.5.54 West Court GV I Bishop's Palace Early 16th Century with later alterations and restorations. Built by Richard Fitzjames, Bishop of London, 1506-22. Red brick with black diaper; tiled roof. Generally 2 storeys, ranged around courtyard, reached through central arched entrance gateway on north-west side. 3-storey porch facing courtyard on south-east side with original oriel window and 18th century bell-turret. Hall range to left. Most of windows late 17th century timber mullions and transoms with leaded lights, except to refaced south west side of courtyard. South west front with 3 gables and original traceried barge boards. Hall with panelling of c1700, fireplace by Butterfield, and heraldic glass of 16th and 17th century restored 1847 by Wailes. RCHM - WEST LONDON FULHAM PALACE SW6 TQ 2476 10/34 7.5.54 East Court GV II Extension to Bishop's Palace. South front of 1765, altered 1814 by Cockerell. Yellow brick. Two to three storeys. Eastern and southern fronts two storeyed, with square headed mostly sashed windows, architraved to east front. North front with pointed windows to first floor (Porteus Library behind) cornice and parapet. RCHM - WEST LONDON COUNTRY LIFE Feb 9 1929

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.