You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 203547  

Print Page

© Mr Andrew Smart

IoE Number: 203547
Photographer: Mr Andrew Smart
Date Photographed: 11 April 2004
Date listed: 07 November 1984
Date of last amendment: 07 November 1984
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

In the entry for: TQ 2779 SW BROMPTON ROAD SW3 40/40 The Oratory House (block parallel to Brompton Road, Brompton Oratory) GV II the building shall be upgraded to Grade II* (star) and the description shall be amended to read as follows: London headquarters, private chapel and library of the Oratorian fathers. Main house (north block) and northern part of west wing designed by JJ Scoles, 1853. Southern part of west wing, 1872-3, partially refaced in stone by Leonard Stokes, 1911. Gault brick and stucco, slate roofs. Italianate style. North block: four storeys, five windows wide, sash windows with margin lights, rustications to ground floor, central entrance. West wing: three storeys, with balustraded parapets. Interior of west wing includes on ground floor the Little Oratory, refitted with stalls apsidal sanctuary, altar and ceiling decoration by J Hungerford Pollen, 1871-2 and with grisaille paintings on walls by Edgar Ritchard with Adrian Brookholding-Jones, 1954; on first floor the galleried library is chiefly by Scoles. At south end of west wing, St Wilfred's Hall on first floor has Italianate painted decoration. The Oratory House is connected at the east end to the Brompton Oratory Church (q.v.) Source: Survey of London, vol. 41, 1983, pp. 50-55 ------------------------------------ TQ 2779 SW BROMPTON ROAD SW3 40/40 The Oratory House (block parallel to Brompton Road, Brompton Oratory) GV II Mid C19. Symmetrical mansion. Gault brick and stucco, slate roof. Four storeys, 5 windows wide, plus 3-storey wings of 2 bays each. Rustications to ground floor. Central entrance. Square-headed doorway with architrave and prominent keystone. Architraves to windows, corniced to first and second floors. Sash windows with margin glazing. Dentil cornice, parapet, low pitched roof. Wings with upper storeys recessed, and balustraded parapets.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.