© Mr David March
ENTRANCE BUILDING TO CLAPHAM COMMON TUBE STATION, THE PAVEMENT (south side)
CLAPHAM, LAMBETH, GREATER LONDON
Mr David March
11 August 2000
27 March 1981
Date of last amendment:
27 March 1981
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ 2975 THE PAVEMENT
(South side), (Clapham Common), SW4
Entrance to Clapham Common
27.03.81 Tube Station
Underground Station. 1900, remodelled with new entrance in 1923-4 to the designs of Charles Holden. Small circular domed building with wings to north and south. Structural faience blocks with plinth and top moulding. Glazed dome with ball finial, with UndergrounD motif on frieze renewed in 1997. Circular UndergrounD signs on finials also restored in 1997. Interior is tiled in white with green panel borders. The ticket hall reached via stairs with central cast-iron balustrade; the foyers and access corridors also have white tiles with green panel borders renewed in the pattern of the original in 1997. It is one of only two surviving underground stations with a central island platform, the lines set in a single large hall.
Laurence Menear, London's Underground Stations, 1985
David Lawrence, Underground Architecture, 1994