© Mr Paul Howard LRPS
WATERLOO BRIDGE, WATERLOO ROAD SE1 (north side)
LAMBETH, LAMBETH, GREATER LONDON
Mr Paul Howard LRPS
20 August 2000
16 January 1981
Date of last amendment:
16 January 1981
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ 3080 LAMBETH WATERLOO BRIDGE
963/1/1129 Waterloo Bridge
Road bridge over the River Thames. 1939-1945. Rendel Palmer and Tritton, engineers, with Sir Giles Gilbert Scott as consulting architect. Reinforced concrete with Portland stone cladding; piers of granite. Five pairs of parallel wide segmental arches rest on boat-shaped cutwaters with broached buttresses at the arch springs. The bridge is 24m wide with three spans of 75m between two of 72m. The piers, 35m long and 5m wide, rest on 2m-thick concrete slabs 10.5m below the river bed, protected up to the high-water level by blocks of granite from the old bridge. The piers are of hollow construction with transverse walls to carry the superstructure. This consists of four reinforced concrete beams which are continuous over the two outer spans to provide cantilever arms for the centre section. The projecting quadrant abutments incorporate dog-leg stone stairs down to the Embankment. The bridge parapet has a ribbed band in high relief and steel guard rails. The northern half of the bridge is in Westminster; the southern half in Lambeth.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The first bridge crossing the Thames at this point was built by John Rennie for the Strand Bridge Company between 1811 and 1817. Declared unsafe in 1924, it was taken down in 1937. The foundation stone for the second Waterloo Bridge was cut out of a stone from the first. The stone was laid 4th May 1939; bridge opened by Rt Hon Herbert Morrison 10th December 1945. Some of Rennie's work survives- a section of his balustrade and two of his Doric columns are preserved in the southern abutment.