You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 204772  

Print Page



© Mr Paul Howard LRPS

IoE Number: 204772
Location: CHURCH OF ST JOHN WITH ALL SAINTS, WATERLOO ROAD SE1 (east side)
  LAMBETH, LAMBETH, GREATER LONDON
Photographer: Mr Paul Howard LRPS
Date Photographed: 30 July 2000
Date listed: 19 October 1951
Date of last amendment: 27 March 1981
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

In the entry for:- TQ 3180 WATERLOO ROAD, SE1 779-0/1/1048 Church of St John with All Saints 19.10.51 GV II* The description shall be amended to read:- Parish church. 1823-4 by Francis Bedford. One of 4 churches in Lambeth in Greek revival style, damaged in 2nd World War and with Festival of Britain interior of 1951 by T F Ford. Body of church of stock brick with sandstone dressings and spire and columns to portico in Portland stone. Nave and chancel combined with pedimented portico at west end with 3 tier tower ending in obelisk. West front of 2 storeys: 5 bays. 1st floor windows have square paterae to surrounds and C20 metal panes. Ground floor has 5 doors with 6 panelled doors in similar surrounds. Massive stone pediment with frieze with 11 wreaths and 6 massive Portland stone columns. Square tower of 3 diminishing stages above, clock to lowest stage, round-headed louvred bell openings in Ionic Order above with antefixae at corners, then open Doric stage with antefixae at corners with plinth surmounted by obelisk with ball finial and copper cross and plinth containing anthemion design panels and antefixae. Sides continue frieze with wreaths. 1st floor has 6 sashes with C20 small pane metal casements. Cambered windows to ground floor. Deep stone plinth. C20 yellow brick pavilions with stone pediments attached to each side. East end has pediment with circular window. Central tall east window flanked by 2 bricks. Underneath are a central rectangular blank and 2 cambered windows. Internally of the 1823-4 phase remain the west gallery on 4 Doric columns (before the war damage the gallery was on 3 sides) the mahogany organ case of 1824 by J C Bishop, clock and 5 rows of pews in the organ gallery. The 2 curved stone staircases in the west pediment survive. The font is an elaborate C18 marble non-shaped example with putti forming handles and gadrooned font cover. The reredos contains remains of the original marble altarpiece. The rest of the interior was remodelled by T F Ford in 1951 to form the church for the Festival of Britain in a Neo-Georgian Style employing an anthemion motif similar to the original interior. Ceiling of 5 panels with water-lily paterae. Anthemion frieze to cornice with pilasters. Side windows have balconettes. Vestry and S.E. chapel have curved corners and anthemion motif. 2 unusual 2 decker pulpits with flat canopy and curved steps. The most striking fittings of 1951 are the alter painting (Adoration of the Shepherds) and panel over east window (crucifixion) by Hans Fielbusch. [See Pevsner B.O.E. South London P 335] ------------------------------------ WATERLOO ROAD SE1 1. (east side) 5023 Church of St John with All Saints (formerly listed as Church of St John the Evangelist) TQ 3180 1/1048 19.10.51 II* GV 2. 1823-4 by Francis Bedford. Simple Greek revival building of 2 storeys. Five-bay front has massive pedimented Doric portico with square tower above. Clock in lowest stage, bell-openings in Ionic order above, then an open stage crowned by obelisk. Antefixae at all angles of tower. Main block of stock brick; tower and entablature of sandstone; columns of Portland stone. First floor cill band on which rest windows with small leaded glazing in simple moulded architraves. Below these, double doors in similar architraves. Six bay returns with similar windows above; short, segment-headed ones below.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.