You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 206991  

Print Page



© Mr David March

IoE Number: 206991
Location: SPRINGFIELD HOSPITAL (MAIN BUILDING), BEECHCROFT ROAD SW17
  TOOTING, WANDSWORTH, GREATER LONDON
Photographer: Mr David March
Date Photographed: 15 August 1999
Date listed: 07 April 1983
Date of last amendment: 07 April 1983
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BEECHCROFT ROAD SW175033Springfield Hospital:(main building)TQ 2772 16/3

BEECHCROFT ROAD SW17 1. 5033 Springfield Hospital: (main building) TQ 2772 16/3 II GV 2. Edward Lapidge. Built 1840 as the Surrey County Lunatic Asylum, with later extensions, it is a grand symmetrical Tudor-style composition enclosing a large courtyard. It is in red brick with some blue brick diapering, stone dressings and slate roofs. It has a centre pavilion of 3-storeys and gables linked by 2-storey flanking ranges to 3-storey embattled blocks. The long 2-storey wings at right- angles have 3-storey embattled blocks at their centres and are stopped by 4-storey embattled end-pavilions. The centre pavilion is framed by advanced wings. A short flight of steps rises to the entrance block which is 3 windows wide with windows of varying design. The pointed-arch entrance is framed in a square head with label, the spandrels filled with quatrefoils. A stone band with ribbon motif separates ground and first floors. The second floor has the date 1840 in diaper. The gable carries a clock in a lozenge plaque and rises to a tall finial with weather vane. Each wing is 3 windows wide at the ground floor. The first and second floors are united behind a single window 6 lancets high and 4 broad. A single light pierces each gable. The 4-storey end-pavilions each have advanced angle-bays and an advanced centre with a plaque dated 1874.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.