© Mr Christopher Strevens
BATTERSEA POWER STATION, CRINGLE STREET SW8
BATTERSEA, WANDSWORTH, GREATER LONDON
Mr Christopher Strevens
08 June 2000
14 October 1980
Date of last amendment:
14 October 1980
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
CRINGLE STREET SW8
Battersea Power Station
TQ 27NE 2/11 14.10.80
1932 onwards by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. It is of brown brick, the main block
articulated on the long sides by lesenes rising to a parapet.
The short sides are masked north and south by immense paired pavilions at the
angles, each pair connected by a narrow recessed range. They are the key to the
composition, their upper parts stepped back in a complex ziggurat as bases for the
4 fluted concrete chimneys.
On each pavilion a vertical fluted band is incised the full height of the main
frontage, at right angles to a horizontal band of similar flutes incised into the
return walls and over the angles. The central section between the pavilions stands
proud of the face.
Art Deco bronze doors to main entrance with motif of figures, the sun, etc.
Art Deco control room with 8-bay glazed ceiling and walls lined with fawn Italian
marble. Instruction desks of figured wood.
Turbine Hall tiled, with bays defined by fluted piers: wells to inspection floor
protected by chromium-plated railings with Greek-Key motif.