© Mr W. Greenhalgh
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET (north side)
HORWICH, BOLTON, GREATER MANCHESTER
Mr W. Greenhalgh
06 November 1999
24 November 1966
Date of last amendment:
24 November 1966
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
HORWICH CHURCH STREET
SD 61 SW (north side)
3/24 Church of Holy
Church. 1830-1. By F. Bedford. Chancel, 1903, by R. Knill
Freeman. Stone with slate roof. 4-bay nave continued as
porches flanking west tower; chancel with south organ loft.
Nave has Y-tracery windows between buttresses and crocked
pinnacles; cornice and parapet. Porches have north and
south entrances below windows, with label moulds. Tower has
octagonal turrets becoming angle buttresses above roof
level. 2 raised bands with cusping below. 4-centred
entrance with tracery band over and blind lancet above.
Kneeling camel crest of Ridgway family, 4-face clock and Y-
tracery louvred bell openings. Open-traceried embattled
parapet. Flanking porches have stepped lancets, the
innermost the tallest. Ornate iron railings to basement
access. Chancel is shallow, with 4-light traceried window
over 3 panels of memorial slabs, the earliest dated 1952.
Organ loft has 3-light double-chamfered-mullioned window
and entrance. 2 stones against south side of nave bear
Ridgway arms and crest, possibly from original east end.
Interior: nave has chamfered diagonal piers supporting 3
galleries and plaster rib vaults. Monument to Joseph
Ridgway died 1842, by R. Westmacott, free standing monument
with robed woman kneeling at prie dieu. Other memorials and
hatchments. South aisle stained glass window of 1874.
Chancel east window of 1927 but earlier decorative glass and
Ridgway arms in tracery head. Reredos with cresting and
canopy, 1923. At west end of nave an original box pew. In
gallery is board recording payments to church officials in
1854 and pumping handle to organ. The church was financed
largely by the Ridgway family.