You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 210777  

Print Page



© Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS

IoE Number: 210777
Location: RADCLIFFE CENOTAPH, BLACKBURN STREET
  BURY, BURY, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS
Date Photographed: 13 May 2000
Date listed: 10 March 1992
Date of last amendment: 10 March 1992
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

The following building shall be added:SD 7807RADCLIFFEBLACKBURN STREET326-0/7/10003Radcliffe Cenotaph

The following building shall be added: SD 7807 RADCLIFFE BLACKBURN STREET 326-0/7/10003 Radcliffe Cenotaph II* Cenotaph. 1922, by Sydney Marsh of Marsh Bros, Farnborough, Kent; site designed by A. Baines Barker of London; stonework executed by F.M. & H Nuttall Ltd of Whitefield. Darley Dale sandstone with bronze statuary. Obelisk set on a square raised terrace with surrounding walls and steps. The monument has a square base of 7 steps, a cruciform pedestal, and an obelisk which rises to 35 feet above street level. The 4 main faces of the pedestal have large square bronze panels containing in relief 642 names of the fallen of 1914-1918; the narrow re-entrant sides have matching rectangular panels of names headed 1939-1945. The front of the obelisk has a sword with a laurel wreath round the handle; its base is surrounded by statuary on three sides, and a bronze cartouche at the rear with "TO OUR/ GLORIOUS / DEAD / 1914-1918" in raised lettering, and the Radcliffe coat of arms in the crest. The statues, three large winged female figures modelled in energetically flowing style, are emblematic of Liberty, Victory and Peace: Victory, standing in the centre, holds Liberty by one hand and in the other exultantly holds up the laurel emblem of conquest; Liberty to the left breaks free, raising a flaming torch; and peace to the right reclines on one leg, with roses of remembrance in her lap, listening to the message of a dove perched on her shoulder. The terrace is approached by a flight of 4 broad steps from Blackburn Street, and enclosed by ashlar walls which have tall bronze open-work lamp standards at the corners. To each side is a simple rectangular garden surrounded by a low plinth with square piers at intervals, linked by chains.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.