You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 211934  

Print Page



© Mr F. Bryan Basketter LRPS

IoE Number: 211934
Location: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHADWICK ROAD (north side)
  ECCLES, SALFORD, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr F. Bryan Basketter LRPS
Date Photographed: 26 June 2000
Date listed: 16 July 1987
Date of last amendment: 16 July 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ECCLESCHADWICK ROADSJ 79 NE(north side)4/1Church ofSt. Andrew

ECCLES 1481/4/1 CHADWICK ROAD 09-MAY-03 (North side) CHURCH OF ST ANDREW II* Church. 1877-9, interior completed 1883. By Herbert Edward Tijou, tower completed to a modified design 1889 by JS Crowther after Tijou's death. Rock-faced stone with slate roof. Nave and apse under continuous roof, aisles, south porch and south-east tower. Gothic Revival. 7-bay nave and aisles with weathered plinth and weathered buttresses. 2-light aisle and clerestory windows with Geometrical tracery and hoodmoulds. Gabled porch in bay 2. Two 2-light west windows and a small rose window. Polygonal apse with 2-light windows in each face. Imposing 4-stage tower with set-back buttresses which are weathered and gableted and turn into octagonal piers which rise as crocketed pinnacles above the pierced castellated parapet. It also has a 4-light window, a lancet in the second stage, a rose window in the third, and trefoil friezes above and below the 2-light belfry openings. INTERIOR: 7-bay nave arcade with moulded arches on circular stone columns with well carved foliated capitals. Arch-braced roof trusses to the lofty nave. In the chancel are richly carved and elaborate reredos, oak panelling, communion rail, choir stalls and organ loft of 1898-1902. Organ of 1883 rebuilt and enlarged mid C20. Low chancel wall with attached pulpit 1879. Pews in aisles from Manchester Cathedral and installed 1893, pews in centre of nave 1918. Font of 1879, moved 1995. Minton floor tiles. Stained glass includes east windows of 1886 by Kempe, west window of 1916 and probably 4 other windows by Shrigley and Hunt of Preston. 4 other windows signed by Alfred O. Hemming. A north aisle window both depicts and commemorates AH Clayton who died at Loos in 1915. An imposing building both inside and out with majestic tower. Tijou was also responsible 1874-6 for the chapel at Loreto College, Manchester (qv). Matthew Hyde, pers.comm. Jane Lowe, Church History and Guide and pers.comm.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.