© Mr F. Bryan Basketter LRPS
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET (east side)
ECCLES, SALFORD, GREATER MANCHESTER
Mr F. Bryan Basketter LRPS
26 June 2000
24 February 1964
Date of last amendment:
24 February 1964
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
1481/4/2 CHURCH STREET
09-MAY-03 (East side)
CHURCH OF ST MARY
Church. Although there has been a church on this site since the Norman period, the earliest parts of the current structure, at the west end of the north aisle and base of the tower, are C13; little remains of the C14 church either, except the south transept arch, because it was much enlarged in the C15 when first the south aisle, and then the nave and north aisle, were widened and rebuilt; the chancel was reconstructed early in the C16, but then rebuilt again in 1862 by J P Holden; the south porch was replaced in 1923. Red ashlar sandstone with slate and lead roofs. Nave and aisles with south transept (originally a chantry chapel)south porch and west tower; chancel with side chapels and vestries. 4-bay nave and aisles with weathered plinth, weathered buttresses and castellated parapets. Gabled porch in bay 1 and gabled transept in bay 4, otherwise the aisle has 4-light windows with Perpendicular tracery (5-light on north aisle) and tall 5-light clerestory windows. The chancel was completely remodelled in 1862-3 being given a 4-bay clerestory. It has a 5-light east window, a lean-to roof to the south chapel, a pitched roof to the north chapel and raked castellations to the gable which has a cross finial and corner pinnacles. The castellated 3-stage tower has weathered diagonal buttresses, a west door, clock faces, a 3-light west window, 3-light belfry openings and crocketed corner pinnacles.
INTERIOR: double-chamfered nave arcade on columns with chamfered projections and thin hollows in the diagonals. Plain capitals have elementary shields. The north columns each have carved niches let into one side. Fine C15 roof structure with carved bosses at the intersections of moulded beams. Double-chamfered ovolo-moulded transept arch with similarly moulded responds. Medieval studded oak door. Fittings include a heavily restored pulpit which nevertheless contains some early carving, pews, stalls, a C15 stone font and an alabaster reredos with mosaic panels of 1883. Stained glass, one window incorporating C16 Flemish glass
(NAW); Lavers & Barraud, 1860s (NchE). Monument: recumbent stone effigies of Richard Brereton, wife and child on chest tomb with square angle balusters of c.1600. Anglo Saxon cross shaft, C15 lantern cross and other early remnants.
A fine parish church with much medieval work including the C15 coffered nave roof.