You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 212109  

Print Page

© Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS

IoE Number: 212109
Photographer: Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS
Date Photographed: 13 May 2001
Date listed: 03 July 1986
Date of last amendment: 03 July 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SADDLEWORTHDOBCROSS NEWSD 9906ROAD(north side)9/96Brownhill Bridge-Mill

SADDLEWORTH DOBCROSS NEW SD 9906 ROAD (north side) 9/96 Brownhill Bridge - Mill - II Water-powered woollen mill, now workshop and house. 1772. Later additions and alterations. Hammer-dressed watershot stone with slate and graduated stone slate roof. Total of 3 storeys and 4 bays. The early mill forms the right-hand bay and has a segmental-headed tail-race opening on the ground floor with 3-light window to right. 12-light first floor window with door inserted to left and 13-light second floor window. All windows have recessed flat-faced mullion windows with king mullions. The right gable and rear have been considerably rebuilt, the rectangular windows having stone lintels and sills. The mill was extended to left probably in late C18 and again at the rear in C20. Each bay on the ground and first floors has 2, 3 and 4-light recessed flat- faced stone mullion windows; large vented second floor openings were inserted in the C20 when it was used as a tannery. King-post roof trusses and remains of winch mechanism. The mill was first used for teazing and then scribbling. It continued to be used in the processing of wool until the mid C20 and was powered by the water-wheel until the 1920's. B. Barnes, Saddleworth Heritage, 1975.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.