You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 212451  

Print Page



© Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS

IoE Number: 212451
Location: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, WEST STREET (north side)
  LEES, OLDHAM, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS
Date Photographed: 20 February 2001
Date listed: 22 August 1967
Date of last amendment: 22 August 1967
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

The enry for:- SD 90 SE LEES WEST STREET (north side) 8/47 Church of St Thomas II The grade shall be amended to read :- Grade II* ------------------------------------ SD 90 SE LEES WEST STREET (north side) 8/47 Church of 22/8/67 St. Thomas - II Church. 1848. By E.H. Shellard for the Church Commissioners with tower added in 1855, organ chamber added 1885 and minor improvements 1889. Hammer-dressed stone with slate roof. Nave, aisles, west tower and chancel flanked by vestry and organ chamber. Perpendicular Gothic revival. 6- bay nave and 2-bay chancel with continuous sill band and castellated parapet. Each bay has a weathered buttress topped by a crocketed pinnacle and a 2-light window below hoodmould with carved stops. Porch in bay 2 bears date 1848 above arched door. 4-light east window. 4-stage castellated west tower with 4-centred arch door, 4-light west window, clock faces, 3-light belfry openings and diagonal buttresses rising into crocketed pinnacles. Interior: double-chamfered nave arcade with octagonal columns. Hammer-beam roof trusses spring from carved head corbels. No clerestory but dormer windows. West gallery with blind-arcaded parapet. Poppyhead pews, carved pulpit, dado panelling, and canopied choir stalls by Shaw of Uppermill. Carved stone reredos and sanctuary panelling. Stained glass, much by Capronnier, 1874-98.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.