© Mr Brian Lomas
CHURCH OF SAINT ANNE, SAINT ANNES STREET
ROYTON, OLDHAM, GREATER MANCHESTER
Mr Brian Lomas
31 May 2007
06 October 1987
Date of last amendment:
06 October 1987
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
1477/4/49 ST ANNES STREET
09-MAY-03 CHURCH OF ST ANNE
Also Known As: Church of St Anne, ST ANNE'S AVENUE
Church. 1908-9, tower 1926-7. By Temple Moore, tower completed by Leslie Moore to Temple Moore's design. Snecked stone with clay tile roof. Nave, chancel and aisle passages all under one roof. Shallow north organ transept balanced bya south tower. Lean-to baptistry and porches against west end and flat-roofed Lady Chapel at east end. Free Gothic style. 4 bay nave and chancel with plain buttresses and 1, 3 and 1-light windows with reticulated tracery in each bay. The chancel windows are given more elaboration. Gabled organ chamber and unbuttressed 5-stage tower with corner stair turret, bands separating each stage, 4-light second stage window, 2-light flat-headed mullion windows with hoodmoulds and castellations. The Lady Chapel (appearing externally to be the chancel) has a coped parapet, flat buttresses, C17- style mullioned clerestory windows, a rose window, and is flanked by lean-to vestries. INTERIOR: ashlar sandstone dressings. Ceiled wagon roof is decoratively painted. Wide nave arcade arches on square columns subtly enclosing the aisle windows which are above seated recesses under round arches. The aisle passages continue along the chancel till reaching the east wall which is pierced by 3 arches, the outer 2 giving access to the Lady Chapel. The arches are echoed at the west, where they have been glazed in and the former baptistery turned into a narthex/meeting room. The stone font has been moved to the south east corner of the nave. Timber fittings include a fine pulpit and two banks of choir stalls fronted by carved screens. Painted reredos and stained glass in the Lady Chapel also designed by the architect.
An outstanding example of Temple Moore's radical approach to early C20 revivalism.
Brandwood, GK, Temple Moore, 1997, p.82.