© Samantha Jones
ASHTON UNDER LYNE TOWN HALL, MARKET PLACE (north side)
ASHTON UNDER LYNE, TAMESIDE, GREATER MANCHESTER
16 August 2000
12 January 1967
Date of last amendment:
14 July 1987
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE MARKET PLACE
SJ 99 NW (north side)
as Town Hall)
Town Hall. 1840, extended in 1878. By Young and Lee. Ashlar.
7 x 8 bays with a 5-bay extension. All of 2 storeys raised
above a basement storey. Neo-classical. 5-bay centre has
attached giant columns supporting a dentilled entablature,
and a balustered parapet which conceals the roof and has
articulating dies and a datestone. Rusticated ground floor
with round-arched openings. Eared architraves to first floor
windows. Extension treated similarly but with giant
pilasters. Interior: entrance hall with Ionic columns. The
grand imperial staircase gives access to the civic hall on
the first floor. It has cast-iron balusters and a rooflight
above a coved soffit and frieze with early C18-style
plasterwork. The civic hall has a concaved coffered ceiling.
The extension houses the Council Chamber on the first floor.
Window and door openings are below round arches with
classical enrichment (which includes palm leaf motifs).
Cross-beamed ceiling supported on pilasters. Pitch Pine
doors. The C20 civic offices which adjoin are not included
in this entry.