You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 212732  

Print Page



©  Samantha Jones

IoE Number: 212732
Location: 15, 28 AND 30 FAIRFIELD SQUARE
  DROYLSDEN, TAMESIDE, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Samantha Jones
Date Photographed: 08 December 2001
Date listed: 17 November 1966
Date of last amendment: 17 November 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

DROYLSDENFAIRFIELD SQUARESJ 99 NW4/76Nos. 15A, 28 and30 and Fairfield

DROYLSDEN FAIRFIELD SQUARE SJ 99 NW 4/76 Nos. 15A, 28 and 30 and Fairfield 17/11/66 Moravian Church G.V. II* Church, house and manse (No. 28). c.1785. Header bond brick with slate roof. 8-bay gallery-plan church with cross-axial entrance flanked on either side by lower 3-bay 2-storey houses with central-entrance plans. Stone plinth and eaves cornice. The church has a giant pediment over the central 4 bays which are slightly advanced. Central door with stone surround and flat hood and 2 doors with eared architraves and pediments. Tall windows in the central. 4 bays are enlargements (probably of 1908) of the smaller original windows which had stone sills and cambered brick arches and still exist in the outer bays. Marginal glazing bars with circular heads. Hipped roof with central bell and clock cupola. The symmetrical house elevations step back from the church and are virtually identical to each other. Stone steps lead to 6-panel doors with eared architrave surrounds and pediments. Each has 2 ground floor and 3 first floor windows with stone sills, flat brick arches and 4-pane sashes. No. 15A is entered through the right gable-end of No. 30. Interior: virtually all internal features date from a refitting of 1908. West gallery on slender Ionic cast-iron columns. Timber glazed screens. Central pulpit in front of an organ recess which is flanked by paired Ionic pilasters and pedimented vestry doors. Timber pews and panelling. The group forms the centrepiece of the Fairfield Moravian Settlement which is the largest as well as the earliest of its kind to be established in England. The doctrinal emphasis on Christian brotherhood and community living led to the establishment of the self-contained village by Benjamin Latrobe. It was planned around a square, with the church facing south over an avenue of trees, graveyards and gardens. J. Aikin, A description of the country from thirty to forty miles round Manchester, 1795. F.H. Mellows, A short history of Fairfield Moravian Church, 1977.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.