You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 212885  

Print Page



© Mr Patrick Norris

IoE Number: 212885
Location: HALE CHAPEL, CHAPEL LANE (west side)
  ALTRINCHAM, TRAFFORD, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Patrick Norris
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 02 March 1950
Date of last amendment: 02 March 1950
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 78 NEHALECHAPEL LANE(west side)7/125Hale Chapel2.3.50

SJ 78 NE HALE CHAPEL LANE (west side) 7/125 Hale Chapel 2.3.50 G.V. II* Presbyterian meeting house, now Unitarian chapel. 1723 with vestry and alterations of c.1880. English garden wall bond brick with slate roof. Classic early chapel plan although the gallery was removed, the vestry and bellcote built and the 2 side doors blocked in the late C19 when the gable end door came into use. 4 bays with blocked doors in bays 1 and 4, timber mullion and transom leaded windows with segmental brick arches, small buttresses and wall mounted sundial dated 1812 in bay 2. Preacher's windows on north elevation and windows to each gable, that to the west of C19. Interior: good early C18 pulpit with sounding board and splat baluster rail, box pews and oak fishbone king-post trusses. C19 stained glass. The chapel is the earliest place of worship in Hale or Halebarns and a fine example of an early non-conformist chapel.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.