You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 212993  

Print Page



© Mr Patrick Norris

IoE Number: 212993
Location: BRIDGEWATER CANAL BARTON AQUEDUCT,
  URMSTON, TRAFFORD, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Patrick Norris
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 30 June 1987
Date of last amendment: 17 May 1988
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

In the entry for URMSTON MANCHESTER ROAD CANAL Barton Bridge Barton 2/31 Aqueduct and Control Tower that part in Urmston The address shall be URMSTON MANCHESTER ROAD CANAL amended to read (Davyhulme) Barton Bridge, Barton Aqueduct and Control Tower that part in Davyhulme ------------------------------------ In the entry for: URMSTON(DAVYHULME) MANCHESTER SHIP SJ 79 NE (SJ 7697 NE) CANAL 2/31 Barton bridge, Barton Aqueduct and Control Tower (that part in Davyhulme) II GV the Grade shall be amended to read Grade II* (star). This entry was also amended by the 1st amendment of the 28th list. ------------------------------------ URMSTON MANCHESTER SHIP SJ 79 NE (SJ 7697 NE) CANAL 2/31 Barton Bridge, Barton Aqueduct and Control Tower. That part in Urmston - G.V. II Swing road bridge, swing canal aqueduct and centrally placed control tower. c.1894. Sir Leader Williams engineer. Wrought iron; brick tower. Both the bridge and aqueduct revolve on a central axis to allow the passage of ships. The aqueduct takes the form of a boxed lattice girder with a cranked upper member and the channel, which remains full of water when turning, at the bottom. The road bridge has bow-string lattice girders to either side of the roadway. Fabricated by A. Handyside and Co. Ltd. Tall 2 x 2-bay, 4-storey central tower with pyramid roof and external staircase. The aqueduct was built to replace Brindley's famous aqueduct of c.1760 and is in itself a considerable feat of engineering.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.