© Mr Ronald May
BLUECOAT SCHOOL, CHURCH ROAD
LIVERPOOL, LIVERPOOL, MERSEYSIDE
Mr Ronald May
24 August 2006
14 March 1975
Date of last amendment:
14 March 1975
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SJ 38 NE CHURCH ROAD
School. 1903-6. Briggs, Wolstenholme and Thornely. Tower
added 1915. Red brick with stone dressings, slate roof. Main
range parallel to street, with other ranges behind. One-
storey, 9-bay centre, and recessed and lower 7-bay wings.
Entablature and brick parapet. End bays emphasised by quoin
strips and segmental open pediments. Round-headed windows
have eared architraves and keys with cherubs, and are sashed
with glazing bars. End bay windows have triple keys with
flanking swags and shields with cherub crests over, flanking
wings are similar, central bay of each projects with rounded
angles and hipped roof. Windows have tripartite casements
with leaded glazing. Central entrance has aedicule with
paired Ionic columns and open pediment framing coved recess
with channelled rustication, archivolt and cartouche key.
Entrance has eared architrave with key, frieze and cornice;
arms of Liverpool above. Tower has quoin strips and 4-face
clock. Parapet with balustrading to 4 Tuscan aedicules.
Swept stone finial and bronze urn. Interior not
inspected. Pe sner: "One of the most spectacular half-dozen
(buildings) of its date in Lancashire".