You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 213958  

Print Page



© Mr Ronald May

IoE Number: 213958
Location: CROXTETH HALL WITH INNER COURTYARD, CROXTETH HALL LANE
  LIVERPOOL, LIVERPOOL, MERSEYSIDE
Photographer: Mr Ronald May
Date Photographed: 28 September 2006
Date listed: 28 June 1952
Date of last amendment: 19 June 1985
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 4094 CROXTETH PARK SJ 408943 L12 15/327 Croxteth Hall (formerly listed under Croxteth Hall Lane as Croxteth 28.6.52 Hall with inner courtyard) G.V. II* Country House. Southern end of east range of c.1575. South range of c.1702. North range and northern end of east range of 1874-7. West range and range behind south range of 1902. 1870's work, T. H. Wyatt; 1902 work, J. McVicar Anderson. Brick with stone dressings. South facade of 2 storeys, with terrace over extended basement, 11 bays; 3-bay centre breaks forward. 3-bay returns. Rusticated quoins; cornice and parapet with stone pilasters supporting urns. Basement has pilaster, parapet with urns and alternate round and bull's eye windows with torus surrounds. Windows have architraves and are sashed with glazing bars; Ground floor windows have pulvinated friezes and alternate triangular and segmental pediments. Central entrance has Corinthian aedicule with paired columns and broken segmental pediment. Foliated frieze and Molyneux arms and flags in pediment. Entrance has bolection moulding and decorated keystone. Panel above has trophies. Steps lead to entrance. West facade similar, of 3 storeys and 16 bays. 1st 6 bays have 2-bay forward break with 2-storey canted bay. Other bays have 2nd floor recessed between 3-bay pavilions. Entrance has porch with distyle-in-antis Tuscan colonnade and central segmental pediment. North facade of 2 storeys with extended basement and 7 bays. Varied fenestration with mullions and transoms, 3rd, 6th and 7th bays project under gables, other bays have half-dormers. Tudor-arched entrance and gable-end chimney breast to left. East facade has central entrance tower with diagonal buttresses Tudor-arched entrance and side entrance with oriel over, 3 bays to right as north facade, 5 bays to left of 2 storeys with attic, 2nd and 4th bays project under gables, other bays have gabled roof dormers. 1st floor cross windows, 2nd floor 6-light windows, ground floor kitchen extension. 1st 3 bays as west facade. Interior: Entrance hall has Corinthian tetrastyle screen. Stair hall of 1902 has coved ceiling with roof light and round arches to 1st floor passages. Much of the interior was destroyed by fire in 1952.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.