You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 215404  

Print Page

© Mr Andy Hibbert

IoE Number: 215404
Photographer: Mr Andy Hibbert
Date Photographed: 29 December 2004
Date listed: 20 December 1965
Date of last amendment: 20 December 1965
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BEBINGTONTHE DIAMONDSJ 3384 NE(north end)Port Sunlight13/83Lady Lever

BEBINGTON THE DIAMOND SJ 3384 NE (north end) Port Sunlight 13/83 Lady Lever 20.12.65 Art Gallery G.V. II Art Gallery. 1914-22. By William and Segar Owen. Reinfored concrete with Portland stone cladding. Rectangular block with entrance projections to all sides, those to north and south with concave re-entrants. Cruciform top hamper and saucer domes to ends. Richly moulded base with some small windows, entablature and parapet, balustraded to entrance projections. East projection has recessed Ionic hexastyle porch between chanelled-rusticated bays. Windows have rich architraves, aprons and cornices, those to outer bays with trophy crests. West projection similar, with attached colonnade. North and south bays have recessed Ionic hexastyle porches, flanking windows as above with fielded panels over. Porches have fielded panels. Projection to south has inscription "THE LADY LEVER ART GALLERY" to frieze. Entrances have paired panelled doors; steps flanked by marble bases, those to south have urns. In north west angle a male figure, L'opprime (the oppressed) sculpted by A. Guilloux, 1913. Interior: Central hall flanked by 1st floor balconies, with wider ends. Flat pilasters and barrel vaulted glazed roof. Ionic columns, paired in depth at each end of central part. Balconies have antae; entrances below have architraves, pilasters, friezes and consoled pediments. Ends have similar details. Entrance halls are octagonal with circular Ionic colonnade with paired columns and glazed dome; niches alternate with entrances. One room contains c.1730 panelling from house near Chatham; another contains 1571 panelling from Lambourne Hall farm, Essex; a third contains Adam-style panelling, 1925, by Percy MacQuoid. Built to house Lord Leverhulme's art collection.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.