No Image Available
ST WINNOW, 22 LADYWOOD ROAD (west side)
SUTTON COLDFIELD, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
26 August 1976
Date of last amendment:
14 December 1976
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
734/2/103 LADYWOOD ROAD
26-AUG-76 (West side)
(Formerly listed as:
(Formerly listed as:
Also Known As: YATES HOUSE, 22, LADYWOOD ROAD
SAINT WINNOW, LADYWOOD ROAD
Private house. 1902 by W H Bidlake. Red brick with contrasting headers, tiled roof and very tall stacks, one with datestone. `L'-shaped plan with projecting service wing incorporating service yard. Two storeys and attics with central partly double-height staircase hall under steeply sloping roof with segmental arched dormer. The ranges to either side appear tall by contrast, whose high gables have stone quoins. Small paned mullioned casements, those to hall in stone surrounds. Projecting porch with segmental head and chamfered columns to left of hall, shielding arched timber door with long hinges that form part of the composition. To right, service yard at end of long wing, entered under round-arched opening. Garden elevation with diamond motif in gables, central mullion and transom to staircase window above garden door with long timber fascia. Stone mullion windows to ground floor.
Interior has some panelling to ground floor, and decorative timber laths to ceilings. Round-arched openings with unmoulded impost bands; panelled doors elsewhere. Staircase of square balusters leading to upper hall with groin vault supported on tapered square columns with slight entasis. Well preserved interior with original fireplaces, particularly that to inglenook with built-in seating alongside.
W H Bidlake (1861-1938) was one of the most important architects working in Birmingham, and a founder of the city's School of Architecture. His importance was identified by the German attaché Hermann Muthesius in his internationally influential study of the English house first published in 1905; Muthesius gives this house as the exemplar of Bidlake's work. Bidlake consciously rejected exaggerated motifs and mouldings in favour of simple, natural forms. His houses are immediately recognisable from their very simple style and the great honesty which they express. They are so strikingly simple that they are comparable with the austerity found in Adolph Loos's work at this moment when the Modern Movement was being born.
Hermann Muthesius, Das Englische Haus, 1905; English edition pp.55-6