© Mr D.R. Smith LRPS
THE GEORGE AND DRAGON PUBLIC HOUSE, 12 AND 13 ALBION STREET B1
BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Mr D.R. Smith LRPS
20 August 2000
08 July 1982
Date of last amendment:
08 July 1982
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
5104 Hockley B1
Nos 12 and 13
(The George and
Dragon Public House)
SP 0587 SE 27/1
A public house with a 5 bay elevation to Albion Street and returns to Pope
Street and Carver Street. The Pope Street corner probably dates back to circa
1820 with the rest of the front added or rebuilt circa 1860-70 at the same
time as alterations to the fenestration and refurbishment of the ground floor.
Three storeys red brick with bowed stucco panel to Carver Street corner.
Hipped slate roof with paired cut brackets to eaves. Pub front throughout
ground floor with windows and doorways framed by banded shafts with large
crocketed capitals. Panelled doors with painted glass. Leaded glazing with
colonette mullions to windows. Entablature curved up over circular overdoors.
Two bays to west and Pope Street return have revealed marginal glazed sashes
on upper floors. Three bays to east have circa 1870 sashes flanking revealed
oriel bay window with shafting and details similar to pub front. Similar
oriel to Carver Street return. The latter front has one storey extension
by James and Lister Lea of 1922.