© Mr Geoff Dowling ARPS
2 GAS STREET B1
BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Mr Geoff Dowling ARPS
21 August 1999
08 July 1982
Date of last amendment:
08 July 1982
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
City Centre B1
Nos 266 and 266X
SP 0686 NW 32/6
Includes No 2 Gas Street. Circa 1875 by Martin Chamberlain. Red brick with
some stone; tiled roof with decorative ridge tiles. Two and 3 storeys; 3 bays, that
on the left broad and gabled, those on the right narrow and gabled. In a Gothic
style. Ground floor with modern shop fronts. Left-hand bay with 4 first floor sash
windows with glazing bars in the upper sashes only and 2 second floor almost
square sash windows with diagonally set bricks between vertical lesenes left,
right and over. Right-hand 2 bays identifical: a couplet of pointed arched
windows with octofoil set in stone and a little cut brick in the gable above.
The right-hand return with entrance to No 2 Gas Street and a left-hand large
gable with fine cut brick foliage in the apex and a right-hand smaller gable
similar to the smaller ones on the Broad Street elevation. The building
stands astride the Canal.