You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 216829  

Print Page



© Mr Geoff Dowling ARPS

IoE Number: 216829
Location: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, BULL RING B5
  BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Photographer: Mr Geoff Dowling ARPS
Date Photographed: 31 March 2001
Date listed: 25 April 1952
Date of last amendment: 25 April 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

In the entry for BULL RING City Centre B5 34/6 Parish Church of St Martin The Grade shall be amended to read: II* (star) ------------------------------------ BULL RING 1. 5104 City Centre B5 Parish Church of St Martin SP 0786 NW 34/6 25.4.52 II 2. At least late C13 in origin and the mother church of Birmingham. Sandstone. Large with nave and aisles, new tower and spire. Repaired in late C17 and late C18. Tower and spire restored by P C Hardwick in 1835-5 and the rest of the church in 1873-5 demolished, rebuilt and enlarged by the addition of transepts and an extended east end under the direction of J A Chatwin. Restored, after bomb damage in 1956-7. Inside, 2 recumbent effigies of the C14 and one of circa 1400 in the north transept and a fourth of circa 1500 in the south chapel; also the south transept window designed by Edward Burne-Jones and made by Morris, 1875-80.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.