© Mr David Molyneux
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH HILL B31
BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Mr David Molyneux
17 July 2000
25 April 1952
Date of last amendment:
19 January 1983
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
In the entry for
16/6 CHURCH HILL
Church of St Lawrence
The address shall be amended to read CHURCH HILL
Church of St Laurence
Church of St Lawrence
SF 07 NW 16/6 25.4.52
C12, C13, C14 and C15 with north aisle of 1900 in a C14 style by G F Bodley.
Sandstone built church. Aisles, nave, chancel and west tower of the C12 build
the round arched doorway of circa 1170 reset in the Bodley north aisle with
double order, the inner zigzag,and with 2 break heads - also C12 the lights
with carved animal heads in the north and south faces of the tower. The major
Cl3 feature is the chancel with a triple group of lancets forming the east
window, moulded heads, double shafted jambs, moulded drip to outer arch.
Three groups of tripled lancets to south chancel wall and 2 to north wall,
under segmental arches springing from shafts. At west end of south wall is
a single lancet originally communicating with a since domolished building
traces of which remains on the outside. The C13 south aisle therefore replaced
an earlier aisle. Also of the C13 the lower stage of the west tower. The
4 bay octagonal pier arcade to the south aisle is C14. In the C15 the upper
stage of the tower was rebuilt and the half timbered porch on its sandstone
base added. The north arcade and aisle are a fine addition in matching C14
style by Bodley in 1900. Instead of a chancel arch there is the unusual feature
of 4 separate but contiguous trusses with a tympanum still in situ in the
second tower from the nave end, framed and wattle and daubed, probably in
origin painted with a Last Judgement. This roof structure is probably a late
C15 alteration of the Cl3 chancel roof contemporary with the replacement of
the nave roof. The pulpit has reused C15 elements from the former screen.
Royal Arms, Hanoverian, above the tower arch.