You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 216918  

Print Page



© Mr Geoff Dowling ARPS

IoE Number: 216918
Location: EDGBASTON HALL, CHURCH ROAD B15
  BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Photographer: Mr Geoff Dowling ARPS
Date Photographed: 14 November 2000
Date listed: 25 April 1952
Date of last amendment: 08 July 1982
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1. CHURCH ROAD5104 Edgbaston B15No 24Edgbaston Golf Club(formerly listed as

1. CHURCH ROAD 5104 Edgbaston B15 No 24 Edgbaston Golf Club (formerly listed as Edgbaston Hall) SP 0584 NE 49/10 25.4.52 II 2. The central block a rebuilding of 1717 by Sir Richard Gough of an earlier structure destroyed in 1688. Red brick; slate roof. Two and a half storeys, 5 bays with quoins. Ground floor with central closed porch with Tuscan columns and an elaborate brickwork top. The fenestration by sashes, those of the ground and lst floors tall and narrow, those of the attic storey square, and all with stone heads and keystones. Elaborate brickwork parapet. Two rainwater heads with the Gough arms. Inside, a contemporary staircase with twisted balusters and Corinthian columns as newal posts, good panelling and doors with their original brass furniture. At the rear, C19 additions, 2-storeyed and with a big canted bay window on the left-hand return, 3-storeyed on the right-hand return. To the right of the block, another 4-bayed 2-storeyed wing 2 bays deep and without quoins at the angles. At the rear of the house some fine C18 wrought-iron gates. William Withering died in the home in 1799.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.