You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 216975  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 216975
Location: MAIN BLOCK TO OSCOTT COLLEGE, COLLEGE ROAD B23
  BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 25 April 1952
Date of last amendment: 19 January 1983
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

In the entry for COLLEGE ROAD 3/12 Main Ascott B23 Main block to St Mary's College The address shall be amended to read COLLEGE ROAD Main Ascott B23 Main block to Oscott College ------------------------------------ COLLEGE ROAD 1. 5104 New Oscott B23 Main block to St Mary's College (formerly listed as St Marys Seminary excluding Chapel and The Chapel of St Marys Seminary under Moseley) SF 09 SE 3/12 25.4.52 II* 2. 1835-38. Planned as a Roman Catholic College, following the Emancipation, by Dr Mirk, the missioner at Lichfield, with Joseph Potter of Lichfield as builder and architect but with A W N Pugin providing the decoration and finishbes of the Chapel and the sculpture. Red brick stone dressed college buildings in a simple Tudor style ranged with a main front to the south-east with gables end crenellated parapets; mullioned- transomed windows. The central block of the south-east range is of 4 bays on 3 storeys and has gables flanking the central tower with tiered large oriel window and octagonal staircase turret. Lying behind this block is the cloister flanked on one side by the Chapel and museum and on the other by the 1920's addition of the informary, but with original coach house range and plain service wing behind it of red brick with slate roofs. In 1837 Lord Shrewsbury introduced Pugin to the College and he immediately supplemented Potter in the decoration and furnishings of the Chapel and the firm executed much of the furniture still servicing in the College. Potter's simple still Georgian Chapel, albeit with a Tudor style roof, was completely decorated by Pugin in rich polychrome patterns which together with the furnishings, a number C15, C16 or C17 acquired in the Low Countries by Pugin and Shrewsbury during their tour in 1841, form a unique combination of medieval and Revival Gothic, following the principles enunciated in his 'Contrasts' of 1836. Pugin's only structural alteration was the provision of the shallow apse in 1861. E W Pugin added the Weedall Chantry: the four side chapels to the south-west. Stained glass by Hardman and Warrington, the latter executing the exceptionally fine east window to Pugin's design on a C14 model. To the north-east of Potter's cloister is Northcote Hall of 1859 by E W Pugin completed in 1881 by P P Pugin, red brick stone dressed in demonstrative Gothic and the library and students' common room added 1927-8 and 1950-72 respectively by G B Cox.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.