© Dr John Davis
THE ORATORY, HAGLEY ROAD B16 (north side)
BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Dr John Davis
24 June 2001
25 April 1952
Date of last amendment:
08 July 1982
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
(The Oratory Priests'
(formerly listed as
SP 0488 SE 36/2 25.4.52
185O-1. Red brick with stone dressings; slate roof. Three storeys; 5 bays with
quoins left and right. In an Italian Renaissance style. Grould floor with
central panelled door within stone surround with cornice and superimposed
segment headed panel flanked by vaults and 4 windws with stone eared and
corniced surrounds. Guilloche band at first floor level and a moulded band at
first sill level. First floor with 5 windows, the central one with eared and
corniced surround, the others with simple moulded surrounds. Cornice band at
second floor level. Second floor with 5 almost square windows, the centre with
eared surround, the others with simple surrounds. Eaves cornice with dentils
and mouldings. The home from 1852 to 1890 of John Henry, Cardinal Newman with
his rooms preserved in original condition.