© Dr John Davis
THE ORATORY, HAGLEY ROAD B16 (north side)
BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Dr John Davis
24 June 2001
25 April 1952
Date of last amendment:
08 July 1982
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
The Church of the
(formerly listed as
SP 0488 SE 36/3 25.4.52
On the site of the original church of 1853 which had been added to and
embellished by John Hungerford Pollen in 1858-61. The present church of
1903-9 by E Doran Webb, and built as a memorial to Cardinal Newman (1801-90).
Stands back from the road and is approached through a gate beneath part of
St Philip's Grammar School (qv). Limestone; copper facing to dome. Long
nave with tunnel vault lit by dormer windows and carried on Corinthian
colonnades. Narrow passage aisles with side chapels in shallow bays in the
outer walls. Shallow north and south transepts; wide short apsidal chancel.
Over the crossing, a dome on a drum with large rectangular windows. The
interior decoration ornate and with much use of coloured marbles and mosaic
work, some of the latter by Westlake. Altar in the north transept from the
church of Sant Andrea della Valle in Rome. Altars beneath the choir
gallery and in the chapel of St Charles Borromeo by Pollen and from the old
church. St Phillips chapel on the south side of the church is of 1858. The
shrine of St Philip Neri in the north-east chapel, by G B Cox, is based
on that in the Chiesa Nuova in Rome and was added cl93O.