© Dr John Davis
THE ORATORY, HAGLEY ROAD B16 (north side)
BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Dr John Davis
24 June 2001
25 April 1952
Date of last amendment:
08 July 1982
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
St Philip's Grammar
(formerly listed as
SP 0488 SE 36/4 25.4.52
1859-61 by Henry Clutton, architect. Red brick with stone dressings; slate roof.
To the road, a 2 storey block 6 bays long. The ground floor a windowless room
with slender Tuscan columns of iron and the entrance into the courtyard behind
and so into the Oratory church (qv). First floor with arched casement windows
in stone surrounds with foliated capitals and sitting on a stone string.
Between bays 3 and 4 a clock face. Boldly stone bracketed eaves cornice and
parapet. Within the entrance, a 2 bay quadripartite brick vaulted passage
gives on to a cloistered courtyard. The vault, like the arches of the courtyard,
is carried on fat round piers on high bases and with excellently carved capitals
of Romanesque character. The north side of the cloister is filled by the west
facade of the church. The south side has no arcade or cloister but, instead, a
low and narrow first floor corridor lit by 4 small windows is carried out on 8
boldly projecting stone brackets with transverse barrel vaults between them.
Only this part of the school is listed.