You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 217227  

Print Page



© Mr R. J Wheeler LRPS

IoE Number: 217227
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY, HAMSTEAD ROAD B19
  BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Photographer: Mr R. J Wheeler LRPS
Date Photographed: 18 July 2000
Date listed: 25 April 1952
Date of last amendment: 25 April 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

In the entry for; BIRMINGHAM HAMSTEAD ROAD SP 09 SE Lozells B19 3/16 Church of St Mary (formerly listed 25.4.52 under Handsworth) II The entry shall be amended to read; SP 09 SE BIRMINGHAM HAMSTEAD ROAD Lozells B19 3/16 Church of St Mary (formerly listed 25.4.52 under Handsworth) II* (star) ------------------------------------ HAMSTEAD ROAD 1. 5104 Lozells B19 Church of St Mary (formerly listed under Handsworth) SP 09 SE 3/16 25.4.52 II 2. Of C12-early C13 origin but much enlarged and rebuilt completely in the C19. Red sandstone with nave, aisles, chancel and south tower. In a Decorated style. Some of the C19 detailing apparently unfinished. The lower stage of the tower with shallow square buttresses gives evidence of the earliest work; upper part with crenellated parapet C15. The C19 rebuilding programme began in 1820 when the first major changes were executed by William Hollins who rebuilt the north arcade and aisle with the addition of a spacious north transept and body beyond. The south east chapel in a single Decorated Gothic style was added in 1826 by Thomas Rickman as a mausoleum to James Watt whose white marble statue by Chantrey of 1825 it contained. Further alterations and additions followed in 1876-80 altering part of Hollins work to the designs of J A Chatwyn. His work comprises the rebuilding of the south aisle and the extension of the body of the church to the west and the chancel to the east. At this time the north transept was narrowed and an outer north aisle constructed. The north chapel retains an early C16 3-light east window and a similar one to the north. In the west end of its north wall, a 4 centred arched doorway opening on to an early C18 porch. Reset early C14 piscina east of the arcade. The south chapel with simple early C19 Gothic detail including a vaulted ceiling and east window. In the west wall of the tower giving on the south aisle is a small blocked round headed window with moulded string over seemingly late C12 origin. Among the furnishings are a good wall monument by Flaxman consisting of a bust of Matthew Boulton + 18O9 with 2 putti below one of them holding a picture of the Soho Works and another monument to William Murdoch + 1839 consisting of a stone bust by Chantrey set in a pointed arch. Also a number of minor monuments by William and Peter Hollins. The church is set in a leafy churchyard with very many and varied monuments.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.