You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 217292  

Print Page



© Mr David R. Grounds LRPS

IoE Number: 217292
Location: PARISH CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS, HIGH STREET B23
  BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Photographer: Mr David R. Grounds LRPS
Date Photographed: 31 October 1999
Date listed: 25 April 1952
Date of last amendment: 25 April 1952
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HIGH STREET5104Erdington B23Parish Church ofSt Barnabas

HIGH STREET 1. 5104 Erdington B23 Parish Church of St Barnabas SP 19 SW 4/9 25.4.52 II 2. Designed 1822-3 as a Commissioners' Gothick church by Thomas Rickman. Of this time the thin west tower with angle buttresses and 4 bays of the aisleless nave. Stone; slate roof behind battlemented parapet. In a Decorated style. Original doors to tower and, inside, the west gallery supported on a richly cusped and sub-cusped iron screen. In 1883 chancel and transepts were added by J A Chatwin. The fifth, transepts, bay is canted to accommodate the change in width between chancel and nave. The style of the addition is Decorated also. Fairly consistent series of stained glass windows, 2 of them on the north by Camm and Co of Smethwick.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.