You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 217371  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 217371
Location: BOURNVILLE JUNIOR SCHOOL, LINDEN ROAD B30
  BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 21 January 1970
Date of last amendment: 08 July 1982
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LINDON ROAD5104Bournville B30Bournville Junior School[formerly listed as

LINDON ROAD 1. 5104 Bournville B30 Bournville Junior School [formerly listed as Bournville Junior and Infants School (The Originals Schools)] SP Q481 SW 55/5 21.1.70 II GV 2. 1902-5, by W Alexander Harvey. Red brick with stone dressings; slate roof, On the left a big square entrance tower. Pointed arched doorway approached up steps. Its bold keystone carries an oriel window with carved base and pointed stone roof. Above and to the left of this a clock. The tower is surmounted by a cupola dating in its present form from 1934 and containing 48 bells. The cupola consists of 8 slender copper-clad columns supporting a shallow ogee copper roof. On the left return of the tower, another pointed arched doorway approached up steps and a polygonal staircase turret with traceried window below its stone roof. To the right of the entrance tower and set back from it, the central hall lit by dormer windows in the roof and terminating on the right in a gable surmounted by a stone louvered structure. From in front of this hall project the lower gabled classrooms, 3 of them, then, slightly advanced, a pointed arched doorway in a stone wall and a fourth gabled classroom. Inside, the roof of the hall rises from lance curved braces and there are frescoes of 1914 by Mary Sargant Florence and Mary Creighton McDowall. The carving throughout is by Bengamin Creswick.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.