© Mr Geoff Dowling ARPS
METROPOLITAN CATHEDRAL OF ST CHAD, BATH STREET
BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Mr Geoff Dowling ARPS
22 August 1999
25 April 1952
Date of last amendment:
08 July 1982
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
In the entry for:-
SP 0687 NE
(City Centre B4)
25/12 Cathedral Church of St
Chad (formerly listed as
the Metropolitan Cathedral
Church of St Chad under
- 25.4.52 II
The grade shall be amended to read: -
ST CHAD'S QUEENSWAY
5104 City Centre (B4)
Cathedral Church of
St Chad (formerly listed
as the Metropolitan
Cathderal Church of
St Chad under Bath Street)
SP 0687 NE 25/12 25.4.52
Roman Catholic. 1839-41, by A W N Pugin but very much mutilated both in itself and in its
setting. Red brick; slate roof. In a C14 German style with a short chancel with
flanking small north Lady Chapel and south vestries, an aisled nave apparently
with shallow transepts, a north baptistery with stairs down to the
crypt below and a north-west chapel of 1933 and 2 thin west towers with needle
spires. Arcade of 5 bays with immensely tallslender clustered shafts; a sixth,
taller and broader bay marks the 'crossing', Modern west gallery with organ.
Their steeply pitched timber roof embracing nave and aisles and suggesting a
crossing by means of lateral hips. Tall 2-light windows to chancel and nave.
The furnishings now mostly gone. The concave-sided hexagonal pulpit with
statuettes of Doctors of the Church is a piece made by Pugin from one of circa 1520
obtained probably from St Gertrude's Abbey, Louvain. The Archbishop's Throne and the
stalls incorporate late C15 carved woodwork from St Mary in Capitol, Cologne.
Still surviving some of Pugin's stained glass made circa 1845 by W Warrington and
there is other glass by Hardman and Co of circa 1865. Also by Hardman and Co, brass
to the Rev John More +1856; he stands but has a pillow behind his head. In the crypt
only the arch of the easternmost chapel now has any of Pugin's painted patterning.
In the crypt, too, monument to Bishop William Ullathorne OSB+1889. He lies in
episcopal vestments with, on the wall behind him, a large painted tablet showing
him being presented to the Virgin and Child by St Bernard and an angel.