You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 217560  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Garratt

IoE Number: 217560
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY, ST MARY'S ROW B13
  BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Photographer: Mr Peter Garratt
Date Photographed: 12 September 1999
Date listed: 25 April 1952
Date of last amendment: 25 April 1952
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST MARY'S ROW5104Moseley B13Church of St MarySP 08 SE 12/4825.4.52II

ST MARY'S ROW 1. 5104 Moseley B13 Church of St Mary SP 08 SE 12/48 25.4.52 II 2. A church of C15 origin, built as a chapel in theparish of Kings Norton but a subsequent history of numerous rebuilds and enlargements. The plain stone west tower is an early C16 addition but with much brick refacing. The body of the church was rebuilt in 1780 and considerably altered by Thomas Rickman 1823-24. Finally, under Chatwins father and son, a complete reconstruction, excluding the tower, was initiated. J A Chatwin added the north aisle 1886, enlarged to chancel and provided a side chapel in 1897. The nave and south aisle were rebuilt in 1910 by P B Chatwin who also carved out reconstruction following war domain in 1952-54. Ashlar elevations in a competent simply modelled Decorated style typical of the Chatwin practice. Crennellation to tower parapet.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.