© Mr R. J Wheeler LRPS
CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, ST OSWALD'S ROAD B10
BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Mr R. J Wheeler LRPS
27 January 2001
21 January 1970
Date of last amendment:
21 October 1970
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST OSWALD'S ROAD
Small Heath B10
Church of St Oswald
SP 18 NW 8/15 21.1.70
Begun in 1892, the west front added in 1899. By W H Bidlake, Architect.
A fine red brick, stone dressed church with lofty clerestoreyed nave, 4 shallow
aisles, transepts and chancel with flat east end. Steep tiled roofs. Bellcot
behind west gables. West front is principal feature with flat 2-centred arch
west window in a Decorated style, with blind tracery panels flanking head
and below sill, the whole framed by corner buttresses gabled and capped by
octagonal stone spired pinnacles flanking the stone main gable with canopied
nichetor saint and cross finial. The ground floor level is blind apart from
2 lancets and the west doors are set in cross wings under 2 centred arches
of 3 shafted orders. Four bay nave arcade. Large, elaborated wooden altarpiece
incorporating a painting of the Crucifixion by S Meteyard, 1916.