© Mr J J Sheridan LRPS
CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST PHILIP, ST PHILIP'S CHURCHYARD B2
BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Mr J J Sheridan LRPS
20 September 2002
25 April 1952
Date of last amendment:
25 April 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST PHILIP'S CHURCHYARD
City Centre B2
Cathedral Church of
SP 0687 SE 29/40 25.4.52 St Philip
Designed 1709 and consecrated in 1715, though the tower not completed until 1725.
Raised to cathedral status in 1905. By Thomas Archer, his first big commission,
and of far more than local importance as a major monument of the English Baroque.
Stone, refaced in 1864-9 by J A Chatwin. Restored after war damage, 1947-8.
Rectangular in plan with slight east and west projections representing chancel
and tower; the aisles extend further than the nave at each end to form vestibules
containing stairs to the galleries either side of the tower and vestries either
side of the chancel. The vestries are part of the alterations made to the east
end in 1883-4 by J A Chatwin who also extended Archer's original shallow apsidal
chancel. Tower and porches either side with Borrominesque detail. Side elevations
with arched windows separated by Doric pilasters carrying an entablature and parapet
with urns on the skyline. Inside, a 5-bay arcade, north and south galleries and
plasterwork by Richard Hass. Principal among the furnishings are the organ-case of
1715 by Thomas Schwarbrick of Warwick, the wrought-iron chancel rails in the style
of Tijou or Bakewell of Derby and the east and west stained glass windows of 1885-97
designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones and made by William Morris.