You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 217589  

Print Page



© Mr Geoff Dowling ARPS

IoE Number: 217589
Location: LLOYD HOUSE,
  BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Photographer: Mr Geoff Dowling ARPS
Date Photographed: 26 August 2001
Date listed: 30 June 1976
Date of last amendment: 08 July 1982
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SAMPSON ROAD5104Sparkhill B11Lloyd's FarmhouseFarm Park

SAMPSON ROAD 1. 5104 Sparkhill B11 Lloyd's Farmhouse Farm Park (formerly listed as Lloyd House under Sparbrook) SP 08 NE 7/78 30.6.76 II* 2. A fine mid C18 house, the main residence of the Birmingham branch of the Lloyd family from 1742 to 1912. Built by Sampson Lloyd II, work appears to have been completed by 1750. As originally built the house was aporoximately square on plan, 3 storeys, red brick with sill bands moulded cornice and parapet; 5 window fronts flush framed glazing bar sashes, flat painted gauged brick arches with keystones. Fluted Doric pilastered doorway with pediment. The layout was typical of the period with a narrow central hall with dining room and parlour each side to the front and service, kitchen and staircase to the rear. The staircase is a fine example, open string with richly carved brackets, turned balusters and fluted column newel posts. In the late 1770s the house was virtually doubled in size by Sampson Lloyd the third. New service quarters changed the original layout. The original front door was blocked and the former back kitchen became the entrance hall. The old west wall of the old entrance wall was removed and a big window added on the west front, the new room being panelled. Thus Lloyds farm is one of the most important of the rare surviving Georgian buildings in the city. A considerable amount of the interior decoration was rehandled in a convincing Georgian manner in the late C19. The house has recently been restored. It still retains its grounds with a formal avenue of elms leading up to the original entrance front.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.