You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 217624  

Print Page



© Mr J J Sheridan LRPS

IoE Number: 217624
Location: SOHO HALL HOTEL, SOHO AVENUE B18
  BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Photographer: Mr J J Sheridan LRPS
Date Photographed: 03 August 2000
Date listed: 25 April 1952
Date of last amendment: 08 July 1982
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SOHO AVENUE5104Handsworth B18Nos 5 to 11 (odd)Soho House Police Hostel(formerly listed as Soho

SOHO AVENUE 1. 5104 Handsworth B18 Nos 5 to 11 (odd) Soho House Police Hostel (formerly listed as Soho Hall Hotel). SP 0589 SW 19/1 25.4.52 II* 2. The enlargement over a long period of an unfinished mid C18 house acquired in 1766 by Matthew Boulton, whose home this was from 1766 to 1809. In 1789 Samuel and then in 1796 James Wyatt, was being employed. The principal front (now the garden facade) probably attributable to James Wyatt. Faced with painted slate in imitation of ashlar work. Two storeys plus attics; 7 bays with giant panelled Ionic pilasters left and right and either side of the centre bay. Ground floor with central semi-circular porch on Ionic columns and 6 windows. First floor with a central tripartite window on a sill band and an attic semi-circular tripartite window both within a tall arch and 6 first floor windows on a sill band and 6 almost square attic windows. All windows sashes with glazing bars. Entablature, moulded cornice and blocking course. Left and right, modern additions. Entrance hall with scagliola columns and, in the back wall, double doors flanked by niches. The doors lead into a room with 3 narrow transverse groin vaulted bays running from mock scagliola iron columns either side of recesses flanking the fireplace on the left to thin pilasters on the right; the entrance wall is bowed to match the shallow bow window at the far end of the room. The groin vaults, which are plastered, are probably carried on an iron frame or architrave.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.