You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 217654  

Print Page



© Mr J J Sheridan LRPS

IoE Number: 217654
Location: STRATFORD HOUSE, CAMP HILL
  BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Photographer: Mr J J Sheridan LRPS
Date Photographed: 13 August 2000
Date listed: 25 April 1952
Date of last amendment: 08 July 1982
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

STRATFORD PLACE5104Highgate B11Stratford House(formerly listed under

STRATFORD PLACE 1. 5104 Highgate B11 Stratford House (formerly listed under Camp Hill, Bordesley) SP 0885 NW 53/12 25.4.52 II* 2. Dated 1601 and built for Ambrose Rotton and his wife Bridget. Remarkable survival of a 2 storey and attic timber framed and plastered manor house, the ground floor partly refaced and underpinned in painted brick to support jetty. Gabled cross wing to left and off centre gable and slightly smaller gable to right, all slightly jettied on moulded brackets. Central 2 storey gabled porch with first floor projecting on long angle brackets. Between the cross wing and the porch either side of the modern brick window bay the studding is exposed with a row of blocked wood mullion lights high set on same level as the open one to sides of porch. The first floor studding is braced in herring bone pattern and the gables have short curved braces forming diamond patterns. Square headed moulded jamb opening to porch with date on and initials on moulded cornice. The original battened and studded door remains in situ with similar case to that of porch. Renewed old tile roof with rebuilt clustered brick chimney stack, diamond shafted, set on ridge by cross wing. Three light transomed metal casements with leaded lights replacing C18 iron casements at time of restoration in the 195Os. Stratford House underwent considerable internal alteration in the 1820-30s when a rear brick built staircase wing and corridor were added. Most of the door furniture is of this period but the 2 front rooms, flanking the studded passage from the front door, retain chamfered ceiling beams dividing the plastered ceiling, with deep cornice mouldings, into 2 compartments. The left hand room retains 4 centred arch stone chimney piece and there is a similar chimney piece, cased in a reeded early C19 surround, to the first floor room of the cross wing. The back landing has exposed portion of the original outside wall framing with a hammer-head wall post by the attic stairs. The attics are plastered but the functions of some of the rafters (partly renewed) and the framing of the gables are partially exposed.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.