You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 217662  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Garratt

IoE Number: 217662
Location: ERDINGTON ABBEY (ST THOMAS AND ST EDMUND OF CANTERBURY, SLITTON ROAD
  BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Photographer: Mr Peter Garratt
Date Photographed: 20 September 2006
Date listed: 21 January 1970
Date of last amendment: 08 July 1982
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SUTTON ROAD 1. 5104 Erdington B23 Church of St Thomas and St Edmund, Erdington Abbey [formerly listed as Erdington Abbey (S. S. Thomas and Edmund of Canterbury) under Slitton Road] SP 19 SW 4/15 21.1.70 II GV 2. 1848-50 a large parish size church in a C14 style by Charles Hansom with advice from the founder Father Daniel Haigh. Red sandstone with ashlar dressings. Nave aisles, transepts and chancel. Prominent north-west tower with good broach spire. Ornately crocketed gables and finials. Richly reticulated tracery to the windows. The south-west oratory was originally the porch. The interior is dressed with creamy limestone and has an over elaboration of detail. Transpets as double aisles. Ornate reredos.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.