You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 217690  

Print Page



© Mr D.R. Smith LRPS

IoE Number: 217690
Location: YE OLDE RED LION, VICARAGE ROAD B14
  BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Photographer: Mr D.R. Smith LRPS
Date Photographed: 05 August 2001
Date listed: 08 July 1982
Date of last amendment: 08 July 1982
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

VICARAGE ROAD5104Kings Heath B14The Red LionPublic House

VICARAGE ROAD 1. 5104 Kings Heath B14 The Red Lion Public House SP 08 SE 12/63 II 2. A grand inn in a Cotswold limestone vernacular style. Dated 1903, by C E Bateman. Stone; slate roof. Two storeys 4 bays. First, an arched doorway whose elaborately sculpted head reaches to the sill of the first floor 4 light transoms window which is flanked by concave sided polygonal colonnettes. Then a big canted bay window rising through 2 storeys, a subsidiary door with, above in a Gothic frame, a rampant lion and the words 'Ye Olde Red Lion' in a scroll beneath, and, finally, another big canted bay window rising through both storeys. Moulded eaves cornice with fleurons and lions in the frieze. Inside, much re-used old timber to give the appearance of a timber framed building. Left and right roughcast screen walls with modern iron gates between stone piers surmounted by urns. In the walls, too, a pedestrians' entrance with original iron gate within a moulded stone frame. The first of the Birmingham "reformed pubs".

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.