You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 217695  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 217695
Location: COUNCIL HOUSE, VICTORIA SQUARE B3
  BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 25 April 1952
Date of last amendment: 08 July 1982
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

VICTORIA SQUARE 1. 5104 City Centre B3 25.4.52 Council House, 21.1.70 City Museum and Art Gallery and Council House extension (formerly listed as Art Gallery under Chamberlain Place and The Extension of the Council House and Art Gallery under Congreve Street) SP 0687 SE 29/1 SP 0686 NE 33/38 II* 2. 1874-9 by H R Yeoville Thomason. Stone; tile roof. Three storeys plus basement; 3 bay centrepiece plus 8 bay wings whose outer bays are advanced and carry segmental pediments. The centre piece with a wide and deep porte-cochere carrying a balcony behind which a central arch with mosaic tympanum by Salviati flanked by Corinthian piers and columns carrying a pediment with carved relief. Behind this, a dome on a high drum. Either side windows with shoulders and the first and second floors articulated by giant Corinthian pilasters. Inside, a grand staircase beneath the dome leads up to a suite of 3 reception rooms on the first floor with Corinthian pilasters and coffered ceilings. The Council Room is small and semi- circular. On the left hand return, the entrance to the City Museum and Art Gallery which occupies part of the same site. 1881-5 and also by Yeoville Thomason. In general design and decoration the building follows the Council House. The entrance up steps within a 2 storeyed portico with sculptured pediment. To its left 'Big Brum', a tall clock tower with tiled roof. At the head of the main staircase of the museum, a fresco, Corporation Street in March 1914, by Joseph Southall 1915-6. Joined to the main building by a bridge on a broad segmental arch over Chamberlain Square and bounded by Great Charles Street, Queensway B3, Congreve Passage B3, Chamberlain Square B3 and Margaret Street B3 is the Council House extension housing also the Feeney Art Galleries of the City Museum and Art Gallery. 1911-9 by Ashley and Newman. Stone. Two storeys plus basement and attic. In an Edwardian Renaissance rather than Baroque style with banded rustication to the ground floor and a giant order in the upper floors.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.