You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 217837  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Garratt

IoE Number: 217837
Location: HIGHBURY MOOR GREEN, YEW TREE ROAD B13
  BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Photographer: Mr Peter Garratt
Date Photographed: 16 October 1999
Date listed: 21 January 1970
Date of last amendment: 08 July 1982
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

YEW TREE ROAD5104Moseley B13Highbury Hall(formerly listed as

YEW TREE ROAD 1. 5104 Moseley B13 Highbury Hall (formerly listed as Highbury Moor Green) SF 08 SE 12/75 21.1.70 II 2. Dated 1879 by J H Chamberlain for the fit Bon Joseph Chamberlain llP whose house it was from 1880 to 1914. Extensive modern additions have been made since the house became in 1915 a hospital and later an old peoples' home. Red brick with stone dressings and some applied timberwork in the gables; tiled roof with richly carved brick eaves cornice. Mostly of 2 storeys plus attic, but partly of 3 storeys. Asymmetrical composition essentially L shaped in plan. Original panelled double doors with stained glass tympanum within a richly moulded stone arch on 2 orders of pink marble shafts with gable above. Left and right gabled pilasters. Above, a 2 light window with richly carved tympanum and gable. The windows pointed and mostly of plate tracery trype. Much use everywhere of decorative materials and carved, especially cut brick, decoration. The right hand return is the garden facade, again asymmetrical but esentially a long 2 storeyed wing with two 2 storeyed bay windows and a 3 storyed wing with a 3 storeyed stone canted bay window in it. Interior of great richness. The Great Hall, with floor of variegated woods, rises through 2 storeys to a timber and glazed roof. At one end of the room, the staircase rises behind the first floor balcony to appear through an arcade of 5 arches with pink marble shafts set in a tile diapered wall at the other end, a richly marbled fireplace with carved panels and tiles and a reredos like mirror with crocketted gables. Walls with pink marble pilasters, panelled dado, tiles and carved foliage panels. Gilt gesso to the underside of the balcony, which has geometrical railings. Huge central brass gasolier. Off this hall, the principal rooms all with Gothic panelled doors with good brass furniture, elaborate fireplaces with coloured marbles, carved foliage panels, tiles and rich ceiling cornices. The former Billiard Room is L shaped with an arcade of 3 bays with marble piers and 2 centred arches. Panelled dado; richly coffered wooden ceiling with painted foliage, inlay work and geometrical panelling; fireplace with brass surround, pink and white marbles and foilage carving.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.