© Mr J.W. Green LRPS
CASTLE BROMWICH HALL, CHESTER ROAD (south west side)
CASTLE BROMWICH, SOLIHULL, WEST MIDLANDS
Mr J.W. Green LRPS
07 October 1999
11 November 1952
Date of last amendment:
11 November 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
CASTLE BROMWICH CHESTER ROAD
Castle Bromwich Hall
SP 1489 22/271 11.11.52.
Late C16 or early C17, remodelled with additions circa 1657. Heightened and altered
internally 1719. Enlarged by Rickman, 1825-40, by addition of north-east tower
wing, passages lining courtyard. Plan: hollow square with 3 wings on south, staff
wing on north-east. Stone dressed red brick. 3 storeys, plinth, floor bands, stone
coped gables with finials, central south front balustraded parapet. Stone mullioned
and transomed leaded casement windows, mainly 3 and 4 light. Central 2 storey rusticated
stone south projection has 1st floor window flanked by arched niches with statues,
1697 by Sir William Wilson, above broken segmental pediment on 4 Corinthian columns,
inner pair with twisted shafts.
Interior: exceptionally fnine late C17 plasterwork by Gouge, ceiling paintings
by Laguerre. Internal remodelling, 1685-1702, by William Winde. C.L., 17.8.1912
Castle Bromwich Hall, Bakehouse, Stable Block, Pigeon House. East and West Forecourt
Walls, Walls to north, east and south sides of garden, Flight of Steps and Pedestals
in west garden all at Castle Bromwich Ball form a group with the Gatepiers to
forecourt of Castle Bromwich Hall, Birmingham Road.