You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 219080  

Print Page



© Mr J J Sheridan LRPS

IoE Number: 219080
Location: ST MARGARETS HOSPITAL INCLUDING CHAPEL,
  WALSALL, WALSALL, WEST MIDLANDS
Photographer: Mr J J Sheridan LRPS
Date Photographed: 25 May 2003
Date listed: 15 June 1971
Date of last amendment: 31 July 1986
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WALSALL MBGREAT BARRSP 09 NE8/40Great Barr Hall and chapel(formerly listed as StMargaret's Hospital including

WALSALL MB GREAT BARR SP 09 NE 8/40 Great Barr Hall and chapel (formerly listed as St Margaret's Hospital including chapel, under Great Barr CP, 15.06.71 Aldridge and Brownhills UD) - II* Country house, converted into hospital early C20, now unoccupied. 1777 on site of older house, extended and altered c1840, with chapel added 1863 and attributed to George Gilbert Scott. Stuccoed brick with slate roofs. Gothick style. West front symmetrical, of nine bays, with outer three bays on each side set back on the first floor to follow line of original house. Windows have hoods, ogee heads, and have Gothick glazing in metal, imitating the original sashes, a few of which survive on side elevations. The two single- storey parts of the facade are flanked by buttresses treated as octagonal turrets and have canted bay windows with ogee lights. The doorway is flanked by similar buttresses and has a moulded surround with ogee head. Chapel: to the right, was never consecrated and was subsequently used as a billiard room. It is of brick with diaper patterns in blue headers, limestone dress- ings, and fishscale slates now mostly missing. It is joined to the house by a single-storey link which has a moulded doorway under a gable. It is of three gabled bays-which have 2-light windows with Geometric tracery. These have attached shafts with foliated capitals, dog-tooth ornament around their pointed heads, and have horizontal divisions carved with naturalistic foliage. All gables have copings. The right-hand return wall has a 5-light window with Geometric tracery. Interior: large rectangular two-storey stair hall with two lanterns, plaster vault, and fretwork pilasters around first floor walls. Two flights of steps lead to a central landing from which steps lead in two directions around three sides of the hall, to a gallery running the length of the west wall. Many of the barley-sugar balusters have been destroyed. The north-east wing contains a fireplace of late C18 type, with triple elliptical arches with keystones and chamfered voussoirs. History: the house was built for Joseph Scott. Between 1790 and 1797 it was let to the Galton family and became a meeting place of the Lunar Society. Repton and Nash prepared schemes for the park. Sir Francis Scott was a personal friend of George Gilbert Scott, who prepared improvements to the estate from 1854. (De Bois Landscape Survey Group, Landscape Survey of Great Barr, Walsall, 1985).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.