You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 219213  

Print Page



© Mr D.R. Smith LRPS

IoE Number: 219213
Location: SMETHWICK NEW PUMPING HOUSE APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES NORTH WEST OF BRASSHOUSE LANE BIRMINGHAM CANAL BIRMINGHAM LEVEL,
  SMETHWICK, SANDWELL, WEST MIDLANDS
Photographer: Mr D.R. Smith LRPS
Date Photographed: 14 August 1999
Date listed: 29 December 1978
Date of last amendment: 29 December 1978
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SANDWELL MBBIRMINGHAM CANALSP 0188 NEBirmingham Level, Smethwick19/14Smethwick new Pumping Houseapproximately 50 metres

SANDWELL MB BIRMINGHAM CANAL SP 0188 NE Birmingham Level, Smethwick 19/14 Smethwick new Pumping House approximately 50 metres 29.12.78 north-west of Brasshouse Lane II Pumping house between Smeaton's Old Main Line on the Wolverhampton Level and Telford's New Main Line on the Birmingham Level. 1892. Brick with slate roof. One storey to Old Main Line and two storeys to New Main Line. Lower storey has four-bay blind arcade with impost band, and a smaller doorway within right-hand arch. The upper storey has four windows with segmental heads, the two right-hand ones blocked, and a drip course. Miniature false machicolation to the eaves; adjoining to the left is the ashes hole with a doorway for removing the ash. Hipped slate roof in two spans, with louvred ridge ventilators. Right- hand return wall of three bays, with blocked windows. North-east wall, facing upper level, has two wide elliptical arches with smaller inner segmental arches. The right-hand one is blocked, the left-hand one is a doorway. In front of the right-hand archway are the foundation walls of the coal hole. Interior: steel roof trusses. History: This pumping house replaced two earlier pumping stations on the Engine Arm of the Birmingham Canal. It was the last to be erected on this section of the canal and housed two vertical compound engines driving centrifugal pumps capable of lifting 200 locks per day. In 1905 one engine was removed for use at Bentley, the remaining one being in use until the early 1920s. The pumphouse is a prominent feature of the canalside landscape.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.