© Mr D.R. Smith LRPS
TOWPATH BRIDGE AT SOHO FOUNDRY (APPROXIMATELY 160 METRES EAST OF RABONE LANE) BIRMINGHAM CANAL BIRMINGHAM LEVEL,
SMETHWICK, SANDWELL, WEST MIDLANDS
Mr D.R. Smith LRPS
27 August 1999
30 March 1987
Date of last amendment:
30 March 1987
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SANDWELL MB BIRMINGHAM CANAL
SP 08 NW
Birmingham Level, Smethwick
9/16 Towpath bridge at
Soho Foundry (approx 160m
30.3.87 east of Rabone Lane)
Bridge carrying north towpath of Birmingham Canal over disused branch.
Early to mid-C19. Cast iron. Brick abutments have chamfered sandstone
quoins. Single shallow segmental arch. Sides pierced to form lattice
pattern of saltire crosses. The northern half of the bridge is within the
Soho Foundry side: the boundary wall runs across the bridge parallel with
the main canal. This part of the Birmingham Canal was first opened in 1769
and straightened by Telford in 1827, when double towpaths were provided.
The Soho Foundry was opened by Boulton, Watt and Sons in 1796 to produce
castings for their steam engines.